The Ins and Outs of Dog Shoes - What Are the Advantages of Shoes for Dogs?
Many people believe that dog shoes are just for looks. They’ve seen the viral videos of dogs in shoes prancing about looking uncomfortable. The truth is actually pretty simple: there are a wide range of ways in which dogs benefit from wearing dog shoes.
Active Dogs Need Dog Shoes
Is your dog an active outdoor dog? Do you take them running, hiking, biking, or hunting with you and your family? Would you want to take part in these activities in your bare feet? Of course not! And neither does your dog.
The next time you’re heading out to take part in an outdoor activity with your dog, stop and feel the pads of their feet. Are they hard like horse hooves or soft like the pads of your feet? That’s right – they’re soft. They’re prone to injury and they should be protected.
Numerous things can happen to dogs who take part in outdoor activitieswithout shoes, including:
- Their pads can get cut
- Their pads can wear out and become painful
- They can slip on wet rocks
- Their paws can get sore sprinting on hard pavement
The best dog shoes will provide the extra protection they need to keep their sensitive pads – and the areas between them – safe from injury.
Shoes For Dogs Are Perfect For Older Dogs
As dogs age, their paws and back begin to show signs of wear and tear. Additionally, some dog breeds are well known for their hip issues. Veterinarians often suggest dog shoes to provide extra cushioning and additional support.
Shoes for dogs can protect their toes from getting rubbed raw – especially for older dogs that drag their feet as they walk. The more stable your dog is, the better their mobility it will be. In short, dog shoes can make for a happier, healthier older dog.
Keep Your Dog Cool as a Cucumber During Hot Summer Months
Have you ever walked out on hot asphalt on a hot summer day? It hurts! This is true for your dogs too. Dog shoes can make their summertime adventures much more comfortable. If you plan to take your dog swimming, look for waterproof dog shoes with slip protection to protect pool liners from tears.
Protect Your Dog’s Feet From Winter Chills
Shoes for dogs are especially important in winter months. Without them, snow can build up between the hair in your dog’s paws. As it continues to get colder and colder, it can turn into ice. Eventually, it can actually cut the webbing between their toes or scrape their pads.
The best way to prevent this is by investing in the best dog shoes or dog booties you can. They will also help prevent them from slipping and sliding on ice. According to Ezvid Wiki these are the best dog booties. Look for an option with rubber soles so they’ll be comfortable and provide the best support.
Keep Your Home Spic and Span
Many of the reasons dog boots or shoes make sense are for the dog’s benefitbut there’s one big reason that will benefit you: they help keep your home clean. Anyone with hardwood floors or other scratchable floor coverings knows how dog nails can wreak havoc.
The reality is that most dogs don’t realize they’re wet and their paws are dirty. They’ll come joyfully bouncing into your home without a moment’s thought. They’ll spread water, mud, and other grimy things through the house.
While many dog owners will do their best to wipe their dog’s feet after a rainy or snowy outing, there’s only so much they can do – and it’s often not enough. Waterproof shoes can be removed before you go in the home, which means you won’t have to waste your time cleaning up dog prints.
Are Dog Shoes The Right Choice For You?
It’s up to you to decide if your dog could benefit from dog shoes. As you consider the options ask yourself the following questions:
- Is my dog regularly exposed to cold or wet weather?
- Does my dog have health issues?
- Is my dog older?
- Does my dog make a mess in the house?
- Do I take my dog out on hot days?
- Do I take my dog on outdoor activities?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then it’s probably time to buy shoes for your dog.
When is it Time to Put on Your Dog’s Shoes?
Once you decide to buy shoes for your dog you must decide when they should wear them. Obviously, you won’t need to put them on for a quick trip outside in sunny weather, or for a trip across town when they’ll be in their kennel the whole time.
You’ll have to consider conditions to make the right decision but use this guidefor cold weather. You can use a similar rule of thumb for warm weather, outdoor activities, etc.
- If your dog will be walking through an area where salt has been spread to melt the ice they should have dog boots on. This salt can get stuck between their paws and be quite painful.
- If the snow is cold enough that it squeaks when you walk on it.
- If your dog is trying to keep his paws off the ground as much as possible.
- If you can’t walk your dog without wearing gloves, earmuffs, and other winter accessories then your dog likely needs winter accessories too.
How to Choose The Best Dog Shoes
Now that you know you need dog shoes you have one big question left: what are the best dog shoes? As you shop, keep the following factors in mind:
- The best dog shoes are water resistant. Even if you don’t plan on taking them swimming or through wet terrain, they’ll protect your pet from rain.
- The sole should be textured and rugged. This not only ensures they’ll be slip resistant but it ensures they’ll last as long as possible.
- According to vet Dr. Marty Becker, proper fit is essential. Follow the manufacturer’s sizing instructions.
- Reflective Velcro helps assure your dog can be seen by motorists and other pedestrians.
You may be surprised by how much the right dog shoes can make a difference! Your dog will thank you, come hot, cold, or stormy days.