Free shipping on all orders over $75

What Happens If My Dog Eats Grapes?

July 26, 2018

What Happens If My Dog Eats Grapes?

Dogs can strike quickly when a chance for a free snack arises, and it can often lead to an upset stomach and even the need for medical intervention. From the dog that grabs a child's toy and swallows it quickly to the stealthy pup that gobbles up forbidden food left on a kitchen counter or table, it is essential to understand what dogs should, shouldn't and absolutely must not consume. Most owners are aware of the troubles brought about by the consumption of chocolate, but not as many know about grape and raisin toxicity.

According to the medical experts at PetMD.com, this sort of toxicity is "well documented in dogs. Although the exact substance that causes the toxic reaction is not yet known, dogs should not eat grapes and raisins because even small amounts can prove to be fatally toxic…"

That puts to rest the idea that a dog can eat any number of grapes. For example, many don't ask "what happens if my dog eats grapes or raisins?" so much as "how many grapes can a dog eat without getting sick?" The simple truth is that you just cannot let your beloved pet consume any sort of grape or raisin.

What Happens?

When a dog eats grapes or raisins, they may not seem to have been affected by it because they may not immediately become ill. However, the most severe side effect of consuming them is kidney damage that leads to rapid onset kidney failure. This prevents your dog from producing urine, and this is usually going to cause death.

What is so odd about the whole grape and raisin issue with dogs is that some dogs have absolutely no response while others have rapid deterioration of the kidneys. If you are a household that frequently consumes grapes and raisins, and your dog is one to never say no to temptation, it is important to make everyone aware of the risks. Be sure that children understand that grapes and raisins can mean death to the dog and find ways to ensure that grapes and raisins are kept out of reach of your pet.

Also, it is a good idea always to know the signs of grape or raisin toxicity. They vary widely, but can include:

  • Diarrhea and vomiting within hours of ingestion (often the fecal material or vomit will contain the skins of the grapes or raisins)
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • A seeming loss of appetite
  • Unusual quietness
  • The dog may seem to have pain in the abdominal area
  • Dehydration
  • Lack of urine (anuria) or only a small amount of urine (oliguria)
  • Bad breath
  • Ulcers in the mouth
  • Shaking and tremors
  • Seizure
  • Loss of consciousness and/or coma

Even if a dog has eaten grapes or raisins in the past without any issues, it is best to remain vigilant about the issue. Whenever a dog does manage to gulp down the fruit, it is best to go to the vet immediately (no more than two hours should pass) and get whatever care is necessary.

Source
https:// petmd.com/dog/emergency/digestive/e_dg_grape_raisin_toxicity





Also in Blog

dog eats grass
Does Your Dog Continually Eat Grass?

July 19, 2018

Are you starting to think your dog is part cow? Is he or she continually chewing up grass? If so, you may worry that something is wrong or that this behavior is unhealthy. In this article, we'll take a look at this common issue and help you discover just why your pet is so, seemingly, obsessed with keeping the lawn well trimmed!

View full article →

dog is overheated
Understanding the Risks of Heat Stroke

July 12, 2018

The weather is starting to heat up dramatically and cases of heat exhaustion are on the rise. Prevention is key, but understanding the warning signs is also extremely important because it can happen even with an abundance of caution. If you suspect your dog has heatstroke slowly cool their body down and call your vet immediately.

View full article →

service dogs need identification
Commonly Misunderstood Facts about Service Dogs

July 05, 2018

There are so many misconceptions about service dogs and unfortunately a majority of the public remains uneducated on the ADA rules protecting these individuals and their service animals.

View full article →